Yorkshire Day parkin
1st August is Yorkshire Day, so we are celebrating by making some special Yorkshire Day parkin! It isn’t really called that, but Tom is taking a batch into work as it’s his first day back after taking shared parental leave (see my previous post for more on that). Going back to work is definitely a little bit easier if you have cake! Parkin is usually eaten in the autumn, but overtime I have it I think that I should make it more often. So it was nice to actually do that this year!
This recipe is originally from the BBC food website. It is part of a recipe for parkin with roast rhubarb, if that’s your thing!
170g/6oz self-raising flour
2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground mixed spice
120g/5oz oat flakes
250ml/8fl oz golden syrup
75ml/2fl oz black treacle
150g/6oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
150g/6oz soft dark brown sugar
2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
25ml/1fl oz milk
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1. Grease a 20 x 30cm/8 x 12in cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Sieve the flour, salt, ginger, nutmeg and mixed spice into a large bowl. Mix in the oats.
3. Place the golden syrup, treacle, butter and sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently until melted and well combined. Stir this mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
4. Add the beaten egg and milk to the bowl and mix to make a soft, almost pouring, consistency. Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake for 1-1¼ hours, or until firm in the centre. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out. Enjoy with a cuppa 🙂
I bought this beautiful Yorkshire Rose pennant from Amy Panda – it’s such a lovely thing! Do visit her lovely Etsy shop and support UK handmade. Happy Yorkshire Day!
Find all of the blog posts from The Happy Stitch Project here! 👇🏻
Hello! Hooray! shop
Newsletter sign up
Hello! Hooray! loves
Hello! Hooray! loves is a selection of amazing creative indie businesses that I want to support by having links to them on my site. These are not affiliate links, just fantastic people who I want to support, and I think you should check them out!