Tuna and Courgette Quiche
My Mum used to make this tuna and courgette quiche when I was younger, and now we both make it! It’s really tasty and easy to make. You can either make the pastry yourself, or use cheat pastry from the shop if you want to make it quickly! It makes a great summer meal or lunch served with salad. You could also substitute the tuna for salmon, which is also rather yummy! Use a loose bottomed tin for this so that it is easy to remove after baking.
Ingredients (for a 12″ tin, or 2-3 smaller tins)
(For the pastry)
225g/8oz plain flour
125g/40z margarine or butter
A pinch of salt
About 2-3 splashes cold water
(For the filling)
2 medium sized courgettes, grated
2 tins tuna in brine or spring water (but not oil!)
Semi skimmed milk
1. To make the pastry, put the margarine, salt and flour into a food processor and blitz (or rub together if using hand method). Slowly add the cold water and mix – just add as much or as little, making sure the mixture is not too wet. Knead a little and then wrap in cling film before chilling in the fridge for at least half an hour.
2. When chilled, roll out the pastry. Grease the tin and then line with the pastry, before blind baking (this works best with baking beans) for around 20 minutes at 200/400/Gas mark 6.
3. Whilst the pastry is cooking, prepare the filling. Grate the courgettes and then squeeze out as much of the water as you can – this is really messy, but much better than a soggy quiche!
4. Drain the tuna and add to the courgettes, stirring well. Season with black pepper.
5. Beat the eggs and add milk, making it up to around 450ml. Season with black pepper and then add some of it to the tuna and courgette mix, stirring well.
6. When the pastry case is cooked, add the filling and spread the mixture evenly. Then slowly pour the egg over until it almost reaches the top of the case (you might need to squash the mixture with a fork to make sure the egg will bind everything together).
7. Place in the oven and bake for around 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. You will need to keep squashing the mixture with a fork during cooking time to make sure that the liquid comes to the top – this will help it to cook quicker and ensure that it is cooked right through.
8. You can eat this hot or cold – if serving hot, it is better to leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving. It goes well with summery salads or winter veg, so enjoy!
Hello! Hooray! shop
Newsletter sign up
Let's get social!
Hello! Hooray! loves
Hello! Hooray! loves is a selection of amazing creative indie businesses that I want to support by having links to them on my site. These are not affiliate links, just fantastic people who I want to support, and I think you should check them out!