Sun dried tomato and parmesan bread
I have wanted to make this delicious sun dried tomato and parmesan bread from scratch for some time now, because we usually buy the packet mix (which is super tasty). I always thought it would be more complicated to make than it actually is, and it only takes an extra 5-10 minutes to prepare in comparison to the packet mix. So I’ll definitely be doing this again – the extra minutes are more than worth it! Bread-making is such a satisfying thing to do. Why not try it this weekend?
I originally found this recipe on Good To Know.
425g (15oz) wholesome white flour
40g (1 and 1/2oz) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
50g (2oz) sundried tomatoes, chopped and drained from oil
3tbsp sundried tomato paste
2tbsp finely chopped oregano or rosemary plus a few extra sprigs
7g sachet easy bake yeast
325ml (11fl oz) warm water
1. Put the flour, salt, Parmesan cheese, sundried tomatoes and paste into a large bowl. Add the chopped herbs and yeast, then pour in the warm water.
2. Mix together with your hands until the mixture combines to make a rough dough ball.
3. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and stretch and knead the dough for 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
4. Shape the dough – either into 8 rolls or a loaf. The original recipe says to shape it into a 23cm (9inch) round which can then be put into a greased 23cm (9inch) round tin. Press lots of indentations into the top of the bread with your finger. Scatter over a few extra herbs, drizzle with some of the olive oil from the sundried tomatoes and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
5. Cover loosely with cling film. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size. (This will take about 30-40 mins.)
6. Preheat the oven to 220°C/ fan 200°C/ gas 7. Bake the bread for 35 mins for a loaf, or 15-20 mins for rolls. When ready the bread should be golden in colour. To test to see if the loaf or roll is ready, upturn and tap the base – it should sound hollow.
7. Leave to cool a little on a wire rack and then enjoy! 🙂
Find all of the blog posts from The Happy Stitch Project here! 👇🏻
Newsletter sign up
Sign up to my newsletter, 'Take time out to be creative' - it only drops in your inbox once or twice a month at the most, and is packed full of creative inspiration.