Simple Spaghetti Bolognese
I was surprised to discover that I have not blogged about what is one of our staple meals – this yummy spaghetti bolognese. It probably isn’t the most authentic recipe but we love it! It doesn’t include carrots or celery (I really don’t like celery) so kids seem to like it a lot! Great for a weekday or a weekend, you can make a huge batch and freeze the rest.
2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
800g-1kg lean beef mince
Henderson’s relish (optional – you could add a dash of tobasco)
Bouillon (or veg stock cube)
1 tbsp Bisto gravy granules (or a crumbled beef OXO cube)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 red peppers, chopped
250g chopped field mushrooms
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, cooking until softened. Add the beef mince and cook until browned.
2. Season with black pepper, and add the herbs, Henderson’s relish, bouillon, gravy granules and as much red wine as you like!
3. Add the garlic, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes.
4. Add the peppers and leave to simmer again before adding the mushrooms. Stir well and leave to simmer again until the veg is cooked.
5. You could serve with pasta, a jacket potato or make a lasagne. Freeze the rest in portions and you can enjoy it again and again!
Find all of the blog posts from The Happy Stitch Project here! 👇🏻
Newsletter sign up
Sign up to my newsletter, 'Take time out to be creative' - it only drops in your inbox once or twice a month at the most, and is packed full of creative inspiration.
Could you ever tire of pasta? While I’m a vegetarian, my hubby isn’t. I’ve tried it with ground veggie beef and it didn’t turn out too bad but we actually prefer it just left out but all they other ingredients. I almost think it taste better the next day.
Never! We lived on it as students, and it’s still a staple 🙂 Have you ever made your own pasta? It’s something I’d really like to do but I haven’t got round to it yet.