Simple Spaghetti Bolognese
I was surprised to discover that I have not blogged about what is one of our staple meals – this yummy spaghetti bolognese. It probably isn’t the most authentic recipe but we love it! It doesn’t include carrots or celery (I really don’t like celery) so kids seem to like it a lot! Great for a weekday or a weekend, you can make a huge batch and freeze the rest.
2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
800g-1kg lean beef mince
Henderson’s relish (optional – you could add a dash of tobasco)
Bouillon (or veg stock cube)
1 tbsp Bisto gravy granules (or a crumbled beef OXO cube)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 red peppers, chopped
250g chopped field mushrooms
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, cooking until softened. Add the beef mince and cook until browned.
2. Season with black pepper, and add the herbs, Henderson’s relish, bouillon, gravy granules and as much red wine as you like!
3. Add the garlic, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes.
4. Add the peppers and leave to simmer again before adding the mushrooms. Stir well and leave to simmer again until the veg is cooked.
5. You could serve with pasta, a jacket potato or make a lasagne. Freeze the rest in portions and you can enjoy it again and again!
Hello! Hooray! shop
Newsletter sign up
Let's get social!
Hello! Hooray! loves
Hello! Hooray! loves is a selection of amazing creative indie businesses that I want to support by having links to them on my site. These are not affiliate links, just fantastic people who I want to support, and I think you should check them out!