Pumpkin Carrot and Bacon Soup
Happy Halloween! As you can see we have been busy here decorating pumpkins – as usual, I avoid the really scary stuff and have made the happiest looking pumpkin ever, haha! We are actually not huge fans of Halloween, so this is about all we do (I guess you could say that we’re Halloween scrooges!) – that and enjoying lots of seasonal food.
I decided to look for a recipe using pumpkin, and after trawling through loads of different recipes on the internet I settled on a soup recipe, but I’ve basically combined lots of ideas from lots of different recipes to come up with this one. I must admit that pumpkin isn’t really a vegetable that I usually use, and I suppose that true for quite a lot of people in the UK. But now I’ve tried this out I’ll definitely be using it every Autumn! You could always leave out the bacon to make a vegetarian version of the recipe – just remember to add some salt if you do!
1 tbsp olive oil
200g/7oz brown onions, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
1 medium sized pumpkin, chopped with outer skin removed
125g/4.5oz smoked back bacon, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp ground cumin
750ml/1pt 7floz vegetable stock
Black pepper (season to taste – also add salt if not using bacon)
1. Heat the oil in large pan or stock pot and add the onions. Cook on a low heat until softened.
2. Add the pumpkin, carrots, bacon and cumin. Season, stir well, cover and cook for around 10 minutes.
3. Add the stock and raise the heat to bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and simmer (uncovered) for 20-25 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
4. Leave to cool and then blend with a hand blender. I like my soup to be quite chunky, but you could puree it if you prefer.
5. Enjoy with some home-baked bread 🙂
I’ve also been making some gorgeous Yorkshire Parkin which is just perfect for a cold Autumn night in! I’ll post this recipe tomorrow because I haven’t managed to take a good photo of it yet…that’s if there is any left in the morning, it’s so delicious 🙂
Hello! Hooray! shop
Newsletter sign up
Let's get social!
Hello! Hooray! loves
Hello! Hooray! loves is a selection of amazing creative indie businesses that I want to support by having links to them on my site. These are not affiliate links, just fantastic people who I want to support, and I think you should check them out!