Nigella Lawson’s breakfast bars
I have to admit that I’m a real cereal fanatic – particularly when it comes to muesli! I usually mix up my own with lots of fruit and nuts, and when I saw these breakfast bars I just had to give them a go. This recipe comes from Nigella Lawson’s ‘Nigella Express‘ and she says that she’s addicted to these – now I know why! They store well in an air tight tin and are perfect for breakfast on the go, or for a mid-morning snack.
I changed the original breakfast bars recipe to suit my personal tastes, and my changes are given in brackets next to the original ingredients. I used my brownie pan to make these and cut it into 12 pieces – the original recipe says to use a 23 x 33 x 4cm tin or a throwaway foil one.
1 x 397g condensed milk (the low fat version is so much better for you, so I always use this now!)
250g rolled oats – not instant
75g shredded coconut
100g dried cranberries
125g mixed seeds – pumpkin, sunflower and sesame (I just used sunflower and pumpkin)
125g natural unsalted peanuts (used hazelnuts and pecans instead – I left the hazelnuts whole and chopped the pecans a little bit)
1. Preheat the over to 130C/Gas Mark 1/2 and grease the tin.
2. Warm the condensed milk in a large pan.
3. Meanwhile, mix together all the other ingredients and then add the warmed condensed milk, using a rubber or wooden spatula to fold and distribute.
4. Spread the mixture into the tin and press down with the spatula to even the surface.
5. Bake for 1 hour and remove from the oven. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting into pieces, and then leave to cool completely. Then enjoy with a cuppa!
Post updated 10th August 2016.
Hello! Hooray! shop
Newsletter sign up
Let's get social!
Hello! Hooray! loves
Hello! Hooray! loves is a selection of amazing creative indie businesses that I want to support by having links to them on my site. These are not affiliate links, just fantastic people who I want to support, and I think you should check them out!