Mississippi mud pie
Mississippi mud pie is a traditional American pudding and it is a real treat – definitely one for a special occasion! We made a smaller one for our day-after-Valentine’s meal that used just half of the amounts given here, which served 4 (so more for dessert tonight – yay!). This is another recipe from Gordon Ramsay’s ‘World Kitchen’.
Ingredients (serves 8)
200g digestive biscuits
60g lightly salted butter (we used unsalted)
60g good quality dark chocolate, chopped (we used Green & Black’s 70%)
180g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
180g unsalted butter, diced
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
90g dark muscovado sugar
90g light muscovado sugar
200ml double cream
100ml double cream, well chilled
2-3 tbsp icing sugar, to taste
chocolate shavings, to finish
1. To make the base, crush the digestive biscuits in a resealable bag and, once evenly crushed, tip into a large bowl. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir until smooth, then take off the heat and pour over the crushed biscuits. Mix until evenly combined.
2. Tip the crumb mixture into a 23cm cake tin with a removable base, and press it down using the back of a spoon. Make sure the base and sides are covered, and then put in the fridge to chill. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas mark 4.
3. To make the filling, melt the chocolate and butter together (as above) and then leave to cool slightly. In another large bowl, beat the eggs and muscovado sugars, using an electric whisk, until thick and doubled in volume. Whisk in the cream and then fold through the chocolate and butter.
4. Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until just firm. Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin (I used a fluted tin here – would not do that again!).
5. For the topping, whip the cream with the icing sugar until it holds soft peaks. Spread this over the top of the cooled pie and finish it with a scattering of chocolate shavings.
6. Enjoy a big slice! 🙂
Newsletter sign up
Sign up to my newsletter, 'Take time out to be creative' - it only drops in your inbox once or twice a month, and is packed full of creative inspiration.