It feels like ages since my last post – and it also feels good to be back! 🙂 I thought that I’d share this amazing recipe for Malteaser tiffin with you first. I’m a big fan of tiffin, and this version is extra chocolatey! I changed the original recipe slightly by using 70% dark chocolate for the topping instead of milk chocolate – I’m really pleased that I did, because the combination works really well. And it looks pretty with the white chocolate stars that I added too!
This recipe is perfect for picnics or if you want to make a dessert fairly quickly – no baking is required and it just needs a couple of hours in the fridge to set. The original recipe comes from the BBC Good Food website.
200g milk chocolate
100g unsalted butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
125g digestive biscuits
135g bag of Maltesers
For the topping
200g dark chocolate (I used Green & Black’s 70%)
25g unsalted butter
1 tsp golden syrup
White chocolate stars (optional)
1. Line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment. Place the 200g of chocolate, butter and syrup in a heat-proof bowl and melt over a pan of barely simmering water or in the microwave. Once almost melted, remove from the heat and gently stir until any tiny bits chocolate have melted. Allow to cool a little.
2. Place the biscuits and 35g of the Maltesers in a freezer bag, seal and crush with a rolling pin. You want mainly crumbs but a few small chunks of biscuit is fine.
3. Top the crushed mixture and whole Maltesers (save 1 or 2 for yourself) to the melted chocolate and stir until everything is coated. Press into the prepared tin and make the topping.
4. For the topping, melt the chocolate, butter and syrup as before and spread over the biscuit base.
5. Cover the tin with foil and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before cutting into squares. Store in the fridge in an air tight container, and remove a few minutes before serving.
Post updated 26th June 2016.
Newsletter sign up
Sign up to my newsletter, 'Take time out to be creative' - it only drops in your inbox once or twice a month, and is packed full of creative inspiration.