Jamie Oliver’s Beef Stroganoff
As many of you will already know, I’m a huge fan of Jamie Oliver’s recipes. I’ve blogged about a few of his recipes in the past, perhaps the most popular being the pork marsala with mushroom rice. That recipe, and this beef stroganoff, are taken from Jamie’s 15-Minute Meals. Many people have said that the recipes take a little longer than 15 minutes, but this stroganoff was super quick! I’d definitely recommend it for a weeknight treat.
The original recipe includes a pickle made with gherkins , onion and parsley – but we are not gherkin or parsley fans so I left that out.
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the rice
1 mug (300g) of 10-minute wholegrain or basmati rice
1/2 bunch fresh thyme
200g baby spinach
For the stroganoff
300g mixed mushrooms (I used chestnut and mini portobello)
3 cloves of garlic
2 x 200g sirloin steaks, fat removed
1 heaped tsp sweet paprika
Zest of 1 lemon
1 swig of brandy
4 heaped tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt
1 swig of semi-skimmed milk
1. Put 1 mug of rice, 2 mugs of boiling water, the thyme leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper into a medium sized pan and put the lid on, stirring occasionally.
2. Tear or slice the mushrooms into a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of oil, then squash the unpeeled garlic through a garlic crusher and add to the pan.
3. Slice the steaks about 1cm thick and toss with salt, pepper, the paprika and lemon zest. Tip the mushrooms onto a plate and add two more tablespoons of oil to the pan along with the steak, turning when golden.
4. Add the spinach to the rice pan and replace the lid. Add the brandy to the steak (carefully light it with a match if you want to, letting the flames subside) and then return the mushrooms to the pan. Add the yoghurt and milk and bring to the boil.
5. Plate up the rice and spinach before adding the stroganoff on top. Enjoy! 🙂
Hello! Hooray! shop
Newsletter sign up
Hello! Hooray! loves
Hello! Hooray! loves is a selection of amazing creative indie businesses that I want to support by having links to them on my site. These are not affiliate links, just fantastic people who I want to support, and I think you should check them out!