Cinnamon and apple hot cross buns with marzipan
It’s a tradition for us to have hot cross buns on Good Friday, and over the past couple of years I have tested out some hot cross buns with a difference. This year is no exception, and this recipe for cinnamon and apple hot cross buns with marzipan caught my eye. Well, the word ‘marzipan’ specifically caught my eye! Be careful not to eat them straight out of the oven because the marzipan is really hot. But served warmish, they’re a real Easter treat.
This recipe originally comes from the Delicious Magazine website.
425g strong plain white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp salt
50g butter, softened
7g sachet easy-blend fast-action yeast
1 tsp ground cinnamon
25g light muscovado sugar
1 eating apple, cored and finely diced (I used a Pink Lady apple)
150g dried cranberries
125ml milk, plus extra for brushing
400g natural colour marzipan
1. Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the yeast, then add all the remaining ingredients except the milk and marzipan.
2. Pour the milk into a jug and add 125ml boiling water. Stir into the dough and mix well until it gathers into a soft ball.
3. Turn the mixture out onto a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cut off about 75g marzipan and reserve to make the crosses. Cut the remaining marzipan into twenty four 1cm cubes. Form the dough into a fat sausage and cut into 12 slices, cut each slice in half and place a piece of marzipan in the centre of each and pinch the dough around it. Roll into a ball and place on a baking tray.
4. Roll out the reserved marzipan into tiny thin sausages and use to make crosses on the buns. Cover loosely with cling film. Leave in a warm place, for about an hour, until doubled in size and the dough feels very light and airy.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180c/gas 6. When ready to bake, brush the top of the risen buns with milk. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Enjoy – Happy Easter! 🙂
Newsletter sign up
Sign up to my newsletter, 'Take time out to be creative' - it only drops in your inbox once or twice a month, and is packed full of creative inspiration.