If you’re looking to make something a little bit different to mince pies this year, then look no further! Tom’s Mum made these last year and they’re absolutely delicious – replacing the pastry with shortbread is a stroke of genius and they are perfect for a super-sweet treat. Helen found this recipe in the Cumbria Times and Star, published on Friday 14th December 2012.
400g good quality mincemeat
Zest and a juice of one orange
A glug of sweet sherry (optional)
Handful of dried cranberries
250g butter at room temperature
150g caster sugar
300g plain flour
1. Preheat oven to 170C/Gas Mark 3. Line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with non-stick parchment.
2. Mix together the mincemeat, zest and juice of the orange, sherry and cranberries.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Sift the cornflour and plain flour over the butter mixture, and combine everything together (first with a spoon and then with your hands to form a smooth dough).
4. Take two thirds of the dough and press it into the tin in an even layer right into the edges. Spread the mincemeat mixture over the shortbread base.
5. Crumble the remaining third of the dough over the mincemeat so that there are small gaps the fruity mixture may ooze through upon cooking.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The shortbread should be golden brown and the mincemeat bubbled through the gaps in the dough.
7. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before cutting into 3x5cm slices. Allow to cool completely before removing to store in an air tight or tin. Enjoy! 🙂
Find all of the blog posts from The Happy Stitch Project here! 👇🏻
Newsletter sign up
Sign up to my newsletter, 'Take time out to be creative' - it only drops in your inbox once or twice a month at the most, and is packed full of creative inspiration.
So glad you’ve posted this Clare – I remembered some rather nice mincemeat thing but not any of the details! It will be all hands on deck once we get to Cumbria so you may find yourself making this!
That’s ok by me! I’ve had the recipe saved on my iPad since last year, so pleased that I kept it! Really looking forward to seeing you soon 🙂 xx