Many of you will already know that I am a huge fan of making curds. I’ve used lemon curd in loads of recipes now, and another recent discovery was raspberry curd (the recipe in yesterday’s post produced the best ever batch!). My latest version is this amazingly purple blackberry curd – have you ever seen anything quite like it?! We went foraging for blackberries near where we live a couple of weeks ago, and were surprised by how early they were this year! So get yourself out foraging today and make a batch of this wonderful curd. You’ll be glad you did!
500g fresh blackberries
4 tablespoons water
125g golden caster sugar
2 tablespoons cornflour
4 egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
125g butter, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Put the water and berries in a large pan and bring to the boil. Put a lid on the pot and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes or until very soft.
2. Place into a food processor or blender and whizz up very very well. Take care here because the fruit is really hot! Once blended, pour through a fine sieve with a bowl underneath, making sure there are no seeds in the bowl. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before moving on to step 3 – otherwise you may end up scrambling the eggs by mistake!
3. Whisk the eggs in a medium sized pan before adding the rest of the ingredients. Place on a medium heat and whisk continuously with a balloon whisk until the mixture starts to thicken. This takes about 7-8 minutes.
4. Next, lower the heat and let the curd simmer for another minute, continuing to whisk. Pour the curd into the hot, sterilised jars – fill them up as full as you can, and cover with wax disks and seal them quickly.
5. When the jars have cooled, label and store in a cool place. You might get a little bit of separation as it cools, but it’s just butter that you can skim off the top. Once open keep in the fridge – it usually keeps for about a month – but if you’re anything like me, it won’t last that long!
Post updated 1st August 2017.
Hello! Hooray! shop
Newsletter sign up
Hello! Hooray! loves
Hello! Hooray! loves is a selection of amazing creative indie businesses that I want to support by having links to them on my site. These are not affiliate links, just fantastic people who I want to support, and I think you should check them out!