Sewing machine cover

Sewing machine cover

I spotted this amazing fabric about a week ago and immediately began thinking about what I could possibly make with it in order to justify buying it (know that feeling too?!). Then I read a post on Tilly Walnes’ blog about keeping sewing machines dust free, and decided that it would be perfect as a sewing machine cover for my Janome Sewist 525S. It gets moved around our house a lot and seems to collect dust very easily! I also started work on a sewing project which uses black fabric, and realised that my thread was picking up all the dust from inside my machine…so a cover is definitely needed!

 

I decided that I’d make a quilted cover, so chose some white fabric for the inside lining – it didn’t really need to be jazzy because no-one will see the inside! For the binding I picked out the pale aqua colour to co-ordinate, and got myself a bias binding-making tool too.

 

Lovely fabrics

 

The first thing that I did was measure my machine with its plastic cover on – I measured from the middle of the front to the back, and then the width of the front. I also measured the width and height of the side. When I had the measurements I drew out some templates on craft paper, and to get the shape of the side pieces just right I drew around the side of the cover.

 

Making the templates

 

Once the templates were cut out, I then cut out all the pieces of fabric and wadding. I layered up the side pieces first and then pinned them together.

 

The side pieces

 

I tried out my quilting guide attachment for the first time today, and it’s brilliant for sewing evenly. I haven’t used it before because I’ve only ever used thicker polyester wadding, and not this thinner cotton wadding. I love the thinner stuff – it’s much easier to sew with! I decided to stitch between every other row after experimenting on some scrap pieces.

 

Quilting

 

Once I had quilted the side pieces, I did the same with the large rectangular piece. This larger piece needed more pins to keep it all together, but I quilted it in the same way.

 

Pinning the rectangular piece

 

Quilting

 

Once all three pieces were quilted, I pinned them (wrong sides together) before stitching. To make the cover fit a little better, I trimmed the excess afterwards.

 

Attaching the pieces

 

Ensuring a good fit

 

The final thing to do was to make and attach the bias binding. The tool was really easy to use and it didn’t take as long as I thought! I also got a binding attachment for my machine, but I could not get the hang of it at all when I practised using it…so to save making a complete mess of my cover, I just pressed the binding in half and pinned and stitched it on.

 

Attaching the binding

 

Ta-dah!

 

Finished binding

 

The corners

 

Machine cover back

 

I’m so glad that I chose this fabric – it certainly brightened up a very gloomy day today! Hopefully I’ll be able to sew dust free from now on…

 

 

2 Comments

  • Jennie Bisset

    16.10.2014 at 22:37 Reply

    The fabric is irresistible, no wonder you had to buy it. But you’ve put to great use. Love it!

    • Clare

      17.10.2014 at 10:43 Reply

      Thank you Jennie! It was a bit naughty really – I probably should have just used something from my stash instead…but it was worth it! 🙂

Post a Comment