About a year ago, I decided to have a revamp of my Filofax inserts and wrote a little tutorial for my other crafty project, Less Grafting More Crafting. I fancied having a change with the inserts recently and thought it would be good to freshen everything up (including the tutorial), which was good because we’re actually having issues with our site at the moment so it’s not currently available. It was a really popular tutorial and I’m sad that our site is down, but we’re working hard to solve the issues asap! Making new inserts for your Filofax is really easy and it’s a great way to personalise your organiser. When I made my original inserts I included all sorts of things, but with this second revamp I’ve really worked out what I need and what works for me, so you can do the same too. It’s a very personal thing, using your organiser, so I hope you find some of these things useful and that you might give this project a go!
You will need
A selection of scrapbook papers (I used 2 packs of 12 double-sided sheets)
Alphabet stickers (I used the selection that came with the papers that I bought)
Double-sided sticky tape
A single hole punch
Your old Filofax inserts to make templates
Photo corners (optional)
Helpfully, I have a post on here which shows you my first insert revamp (click here to see that). I love the bright colours of the papers that I used, but as I really am a pink person I wanted a different colour selection this time. Scrapbooking paper is perfect for this project as it’s double-sided and thicker than ‘normal’ paper so it’s sturdy enough for dividers. I used two collections from Echo Park – the first is ‘Creative Agenda’ by Kaitlin Shearer (how perfect for an organiser!) and the second is ‘Splendid Sunshine’ by Alisha Gordon (both from Craft Island).
These papers work so beautifully together – I’m really pleased with the combination! I love the prints, and there are enough papers in these two packs to create different dividers for many months. Having used my previous inserts for a year (as my blog planner) I realised that I actually needed enough for more than a year really. This might sound absolutely crazy, but I have some blog posts that I didn’t get scheduled in for certain times, so I can just schedule them in for next year and be super organised.
I started by making new month dividers. I don’t use tabs on these so they’re very easy to make! I just traced around my old inserts and cut them out on the guillotine. Then, using my old inserts as a guide, I punched out the holes with my single hole punch.
I stuck the month on the divider too, with the stickers that came with the packs of paper. I only had enough stickers to use 3 letters of each month but this worked out using the two lots of stickers. I used the large stickers for the first year of dividers, and then used these smaller ones for the second year:
Last time I made inserts, I wanted to write out the whole month so I bought extra stickers. This time, by using the pack stickers and abbreviating, they matched better and I saved a bit of money too. Yay!
In my previous set of inserts, I included things like pockets and mini envelopes for storing things in, but I found that I didn’t really make use of them (although they looked pretty!). So this time I just kept things really simple, and only made some divider tabs for the back of the organiser and some other dividers for displaying some cards in addition to my month dividers. This helped to make room for two years of planner as well! These little divider tabs can be made by tracing around an existing tab:
Then you just stick them on with a little bit of double-sided sticky tape. I used contrasting tabs and paper to make each one different.
I created a new divider page to separate the planner from the notes bits at the back, and used some more stickers to decorate it. I love these bunting stickers and wish I had more of them – I could stick these on so many things!
I updated the title page of my Filofax too, by adding some photo corners to be able to hide the old date with a new date card. This will make it easier for me to update this in future too!
One completely new thing that I made was a bookmark – the Filofax came with a black plastic one, but it didn’t really fit with my first revamp so I didn’t use it. I decided to make one this time to make finding today’s page easier, and I used some scrapbook paper and some of the stickers from Creative Agenda to decorate it. This has already made it much easier to use!
You can also see from this photo that I am still decorating pages with washi tape 🙂 I also decided to use Filofax inserts, as they work much better for how I want to lay out the pages. I am super organised and have my 2015-16 academic insert already!