How to re-line a bag

I’m so excited about the Festival of Thrift, which starts tomorrow! It has been great to be a part of the School of Thrift and I thought I’d share another tutorial with you. This is a project that I have been planning for ages – I bought this satchel last year and always thought that I’d have a go at re-lining it. Although I’ve got nothing against the lining that was there, I just wanted it to be a bit more colourful! Then I realised that a cough sweet had escaped from its packet and had stuck itself to the bottom…nice! So it needed doing out of necessity too!

So here’s my bag before I got started:

 

IMG_0557

 

It has a large main pocket, with another one at the front and one at the back. I cut out the main pocket, leaving a couple of centimetres of the lining at the top where it was sewn in. Once this was done, I did the same with the other pockets.

 

IMG_0561

 

You’ll need to cut out the pockets that you need to replace – don’t throw them away just yet, because you’ll need to use them as templates. I unpicked the old pockets so that I had flat pieces to work with. Lay out your new fabric and place the pieces on top, cutting around them leaving a little excess around each edge. I used this fab Amy Butler fabric from the Hapi collection.

 

IMG_0563

 

This first piece had a zip pocket in – you don’t have to put one in if you don’t want to though! First, I measured where the zip should go based on the template piece. I marked where it should go with a dressmaking pencil.

 

IMG_0564

IMG_0565

 

Then I used a seam ripper to open it up, and cut diagonally at the either side of the opening to be able to fold back and press to create a rectangular opening.

 

IMG_0566

IMG_0569

 

I stitched the zip in on my machine, and then began attaching a pocket on the back. I made this using a rectangular piece of fabric, which I folded (right sides together) so that the top was a couple of centimetres higher than the bottom. Then the pocket can be made by machine stitching down each side.

 

IMG_0573

 

To attach the pocket, I stitched the bottom to the bottom zip tape, and then repeated this with the top.

 

IMG_0574

IMG_0575

IMG_0580

 

With the other half of the large main pocket, I made a simple side pocket by stitching some bias tape over the top of a rectangle of fabric. Then I stitched this onto the side piece, making two pockets out of it by stitching a line slightly off centre.

 

IMG_0586

 

My bag also had a long strip of fabric to create the bottom of the main pocket, so I pinned it and then stitched it all together.

 

IMG_0589

 

photo

 

Next I made the final two pockets, which were far easier in comparison to the first! I cut out rectangles using the old pockets as templates, pressed about 1cm back on both top edges and stitched down the side edges with right sides together. As with the previous pocket, one side of each pocket was higher than the other to be able to attach them to the bag.

 

IMG_0595

 

The next step was to pin the pockets to the bag. I started with the smaller pockets because they had to be stitched in before the main one. I used a small running stitch and pink thread to attach the top of the pocket to the original fabric I left attached in the bag.

 

IMG_0596

 

Once attached, it looked like this:

 

IMG_0597

 

I repeated this with the other pockets, making sure I didn’t sew right through to the front of the bag. Ta-dah!

 

IMG_1858-0.JPG

If you’re wanting to have a go at this, you might need to adjust some of the steps depending on the size and shape of your bag. I bought 1 metre of fabric for this project and that was plenty – the zip was 7″ long. Although it seems like a tricky project, as long as you use your old pockets as a template you should be fine. It’s a great way of updating a bag that may otherwise be thrown away because of a damaged lining. Yay!

No Comments

Post a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.